Monday 8 August 2011

Hedgewitch


I am a Hedgewitch. I realize that this might very well need some explanation. I do not attempt to define what this word means to anyone else, and hope that my meaning may help another find their path, or, even help them to define that what i do is not what they do.

I believe that a Hedgewitch can be defined as such. A Hedgewitch is one, male or female, that speaks for both wild and civilized. A translator in fact, allowing discourse between 2 different ideals

Wild and civilized? What do I mean by those terms? Well, I feel that we, as people live in a world of balance. There are wild, but natural elements that we live beside. We have Foxes, hawks, rabbits, even healing herbs in our civilization. Many of us do not see these things unless they become, what many would consider, pests. In our careful cultured gardens, and in our trash. As well, the wild must coexist with us, Our roads, our Parks, or gardens, our homes. These places overlap, Example? A Public Park, there are wild animals there, and, well, if you knew what to look for, wild edibles! Yest, in a public park, we keep the trees trimmed, the grass cut, and playgrounds for our children.
There is , I feel, a huge esoteric, or, magic element at work here! If you believe, whats to say that at your park, that tree has a spirit that is hurt by the constant cutting of its limbs? Those Rabbits, who eat your gardens? Perhaps they are sendings of Small gods taking their tributes for the further health of your garden?
And what happens when all of those things become unbalanced? The small gods taking to much? That we trim the tree to much?
Thats where someone like myself might come in. I Might help the gardener listen to the wild that encroaches their garden, and help them, by, say, telling them what they need to give the rabbits to stop taking to much. Or that Tree? I might help it understand that the trimming of its branches will prevent rot farther down the road.
This is the path I have chosen, This is the path I find rewarding in that I can assist understanding of both the wild and the civilization.
The Hedge aspect? Well, look at it like this. There will always be borders, borders between the wild and the civil. I choose to call the border I see a "Hedge"
In another Post, I will discuss HOW I translate, what methods I have been using, and how successful they have been

1 comment:

  1. This is a well written description of what Hedgewitch is to you. I think we need more translators for the Wild, both to speak TO them and to speak FOR them in its dealings with the World at large

    ReplyDelete