Saturday 25 January 2014

So, its been asked of me. "Whats a pagan? Is it the same as a witch?" While I've not been asked this in THIS way, I have tried to define this in an earlier post. Lets see if I can say it another way.

Interesting question that. lets explore the meanings of words together, shall we?
Several sites here on the internet say this..

Pagan: a person holding religious beliefs other than those of the main world religions.
Now, the big 3, I have found, is Christianity, Judasim, and Islam

 Notice how there is not "witch" in there? 
So, to be a pagan means you follow a spritual path not of teh big 3. You could be a Shaman. A Witch. A Druid. 
I cant imagine how many more things you could be. All under the umbrella term of "Pagan"
For reference, I will also define what I said above, just for disscusion purposes. 

Shamanism: 1. The animistic religion of certain peoples of northern Asia in which mediation between the visible and spirit worlds is effected by shamans.
2. A similar religion or set of beliefs, especially among certain Native American peoples.
 
Wiccan:the religious cult of modern witchcraft, esp. an initiatory tradition founded in England in the mid 20th century and claiming its origins in pre-Christian pagan religions.
 
Druidism: A member of an order of priests in ancient Gaul and Britain who appear in Welsh and Irish legend as prophets and sorcerers. 
 
Now you know! There is a saying I have heard tossed around ."All Wiccans are Pagans, but not all Pagans are Wiccans."
Being informed is a good thing! Now you kniow, and can tell teh difference! 
As well, there are 1000's of variations on the above definitions, as many of these paths are intensely personal. Please, respect another choice.
Now, my purpose here is NOT to say your definitons  are wrong! But, instead, to spark debate. If you disagree, all well and good, but explain to me WHY you disagree.  
Remember, here, on this blog, we want to get to the roots of things. The beginings as it were, so lets see where this takes us. 
 Log in another time, and we can talk about the upcoming holidays! yes! I said Holidays! 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment